Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Day Three: Results Day

This morning I was woken up with a letter from my college, inside my results from the IT BTEC I had just completed a couple of weeks ago. It was the deciding letter on whether I could fulfil my offer from my chosen University and go forward to study in the field of Computer Science. I opened the letter to find the listed units and the corresponding grades. In each one I got top marks and gaining distinctions all round with an over all grade of D*D*D* (for people not familiar with BTEC a D* is the same UCAS points as an A* but as you properly guessed it D because it stands for Distinction). I was over the moon to finally receive the results after two years of work, but most importantly it's the final ticket that will get me to University to fulfil my goal of studying Computer Science, my main focus in life.


When I found out the results like most people who live on the internet I went to twitter to broadcast my great news. On first glance I saw a tweet from Professor Brain Cox about the Higgs Boson then it dawned on me I had forgotten about the Cern announcement. So rushed to the website and started catching up on the new about this amazing new discovery. In fact this took up most of my morning by the time I did some reading and watching then some more reading and watching the time flew by. It's a very exciting day for science and for me the second set of amazing results today.


Next came work, in order to have a constant income of money I have maintained a paper round, well two too be exact. I have kept them from a young age to earn extra money. It's a boring job but for what I do its easy money plus I get to listen to podcasts as I work which helps.
After I finished putting the flyers in the papers and one of the rounds. I wanted to get back to the coding my game, as so far there had been no progress on any of the projects. My main aim was to fix the poisoning function for the rouge so I would be able to commit the new version of the code to GitHub. Well, after taking some time to re-write how poisoning works and looking at and improving code from yesterday with a fresh view. I started to realise the code was getting longer and harder to test this is a problem I will need to address so this is now top of the game section on TaskPaper.


My final thoughts for day, well I was not the most productive today with regards with work towards my projects but it's not often we get such big scientific headlines like "Discovery of Particle, consistent with Higgs boson". Also I need to make a living too, my paper round helps fund my projects so the distractions today have been worth while in their own way but I will need to make up for loss of time tomorrow, thanks science.


Todays quote comes from the Italian explorer Christopher Columbus, and the quote is about distractions, which I though is appropriate for today:
"By prevailing over all obstacles and distractions, one may unfailingly arrive at his chosen goal or destination."
The progress made in the game from both yesterday and today can be found on my GitHub and as always you can follow me on twitter @CDSteer I will be back tomorrow hopefully with more progress than today.

No comments:

Post a Comment